Thanks to everyone who was able to join us on June 16, 2020 for STAR Net’s STEAM Equity Project Pre-Application Webinar. This blog post will provide more information on this grant opportunity, as well as links to the webinar recording, webinar slides, chat trancript, and resources discussed during the webinar.
This webinar covered a new and exciting project, STAR Net STEAM Equity Project: Enhancing Learning Opportunities in Libraries of Rural Communities, that is seeking initial applications through July 20, 2020 from public library workers in small and rural communities who want to offer outstanding, culturally responsive STEAM programming and exhibitions for their patrons, especially often-underreached Latino populations. Twelve public libraries will receive $15,000 over four years (winter 2020 – summer 2024) to participate in professional development activities, support community partnerships and purchase STEAM learning materials. We are are encouraging librarians/library workers that work in the following context to apply:
- Public libraries in rural communities in the United States and its territories are eligible.
- For the purposes of this project, rural libraries are defined as those serving communities of under 25,000, and significant Latino population as a percentage greater than the 9% national average for rural America (USDA Rural America at a Glance, 2018 Edition).
- Libraries that serve significant Latino populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The project team uses the term “Latino” but acknowledges that communities and individuals may identify as Latino/a/x, Hispanic, Chicano/a, or a variety of other terms. Eligibility will be determined through the Notice of Intent process, based on community characteristics and library capacity.
APPLY NOW: Start your application by submitting a Notice of Intent (deadline: July 20, 2020; survey will take an estimated 15 minutes to complete)
Links and Resources Discussed During the Webinar
- Article from the Programming Librarian Website – What I Tell People When They Ask about Latinx Engagement
- STAR Net Resources
- SciGirls Resources
- Stephanie Gerding, co-author of Winning Grants, Second Edition: A How-To-Do-It Manual For Librarians, recently presented “Winning Grants for Small & Rural Libraries,” which is available through Library 2.0 at https://www.library20.com/smallruralindependent-recordings (free registration required).
- NSF STEM for All Video Showcase – Libraries and Community Dialogues
Please contact B.B. Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Brooks Mitchell (email@example.com) with questions about this webinar or project.