The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) is partnering with the STAR Library Network (STAR Net) and its Project BUILD engineering program. Project BUILD is supported by the National Science Foundation.
We invite public libraries across the country to participate in an exciting virtual engineering experience this coming November called Dream – Build – Create, an introduction to engineers and engineering for people of all ages, especially families and children. This inspirational program will offer libraries and their patrons a free film screening of the award-winning documentary Dream Big: Engineering Our World, produced by MacGillivray Freeman Films in partnership with ASCE. The ASCE Foundation is supporting the free screenings. Your patrons will travel the world to see engineering in action, from the Great Wall of China, to solar car races in Australia, and underwater robots in the USA. Critics agree—Dream Big is a great way to introduce kids to engineering.
“A rousing and ravishing call-to-engineering arms. It’s the sort of majestic educational film that every adult will want their child to see” — Variety
“Sure to inspire your future innovators!” — Scholastic Teacher
“Inspirational in the same way Hidden Figures was” — Josh Board, Fox5 News, San Diego
In addition to the film, ASCE is organizing several virtual panels in November where patrons can join live conversations with our Dream Teams of young, diverse engineers who will answer questions, share their personal stories and what inspires them to make a positive difference in the world.
The Dream Big film will be available in English, Spanish, and Close-Captioning. We’ll even have a Spanish-language Dream Team!
So how does this work?
- Librarians can register for a passcode to gain free access to Dream Big at https://www.asce.org/dream-big/:
– Tuesday November 10
– Tuesday, November 14
– Tuesday November 17
– Tuesday November 24
- There’s no set time on those dates—patrons can view when it’s convenient.
- On the registration website, you’ll find the information on how to access the live sessions with the Dream Teams. In addition to a Spanish-language Dream Team there will be teams featuring Black engineers, women engineers, and even engineers thinking about floating cities! Dream Teams will be scheduled at specific times.
– Cities of the future—Tuesday November 10
– Women in engineering—Tuesday November 10
– Black engineers—Wednesday November 18
– Spanish language—Thursday November 19
– Check back frequently for additional dates
- Share the passcode with families, your Teen Advisory Group, K-12 teachers and school districts that you collaborate with, or even post it on your library’s Facebook page. Spread the word!
Everyone can tailor the experience to their own interests. View Dream Big and attend one Dream Team panel session. Just watch the Dream Big film. Log into 3 or 4 Dream Team panels sessions. The choice is up to you!
Engineering Resources for Libraries:
- Playful Building Collection on STAR Net’s STEM Activity Clearinghouse
- STAR Net’s STEAM Ahead at Home Resources
- Dream Big has a resource library of over 65 activities
This November event is a great way to promote engineering in your community and to prepare for Engineers Week (February 21-27, 2021). Don’t forget to let engineering firms in your community know about your plans and ask if they would like to participate. Engineers Week is a time to:
- Celebrate how engineers make a difference in our world
- Increase public dialogue about the need for engineers
- Bring engineering to life for kids, educators, and parents
Questions? Please contact Jeannine Finton at firstname.lastname@example.org.