If you’ve attended a STAR Net webinar, workshop, or other training event, you may have heard our team talk about the importance of introducing your patrons to subject matter experts (SMEs), such as engineers, scientists, technicians, and more. SMEs can inspire your patrons and take the burden of “content knowledge” off of library staff. Patrons that do not often see themselves represented in STEAM fields may really appreciate and benefit from seeing subject matter experts that look like them or share a common background. If you have a STEAM program with young female patrons, for example, try highlighting a female subject matter expert
In-person interactions with Subject Matter Experts (read more about STEAM collaboration opportunities here) can be very inspiring, but are not always possible. When an in-person SME interaction is not possible, we encourage you to consider showing your patrons photos and videos of Subject Matter Experts. Over the years, NASA missions and centers have produced many video profiles of scientists, engineers, and other employees sharing their stories. We have listed those videos below for use at your next library STEAM program!
Short Videos: NASA Scientist and Engineers Sharing Their Stories
- NASA Mars Videos
- This site includes profiles of 8 NASA engineers and scientists, describing their roles for the Mars 2020 mission.
- NASA Goddard Profiles
- Twenty-eight videos ranging from 1 to 3 minutes of NASA scientists and engineers, describing their careers and what they do.
- Dawn Mission team members
- Ten videos ranging from 2 to 3 minutes of Dawn Mission scientists about their experiences, careers, and the Dawn mission.
- Multiverse, UC-Berkeley
- Five videos ranging from 3 to 7 minutes of astronomers and space physicists describe their research and their career pathway.
- Hispanic Heritage Month
- Sixteen videos ranging from 1 to 3 minutes, featuring NASA Latinx employees discussing their history, work, and careers.
- NASA Black History Month Profiles, 2013-2020
- Twenty-three videos ranging from 1 to 3 minutes, featuring NASA Black employees.
- NASA Black History Month Profiles, 2014
- Twenty videos ranging from 1 to 3 minutes, featuring NASA Black employees.
- National Native American Heritage Month
- Seven videos ranging from 1 to 3 minutes, featuring NASA Native American employees.
- NASA Women’s History Month Profiles, 2012
- Eleven videos ranging from 1 to 3 minutes of NASA women describing their careers, and four longer videos of NASA Women’s History events.
- NASA Women’s History Month Profiles, 2013-2017
- Twenty-one videos ranging from 1 to 5 minutes of NASA women describing their careers.
- NASA’s Modern Figures, 2016-2017
- Seven videos ranging from 30 seconds to 1 minute featuring NASA women of color, and four additional videos related to the “Hidden Figures” move.
- Asian American and Pacific Islanders Heritage Month, 2014
- Seven videos ranging from 1 to 3 minutes, featuring NASA Asian American and Pacific Islander employees.
- Asian American and Pacific Islanders Heritage Month, 2012-2015
- Nine videos ranging from 1 to 3 minutes, featuring NASA Asian American and Pacific Islander employees.
- Full Spectrum
- a 19 minute video interviewing space physicists and astronomers from marginalized groups.
Leave A Comment