With funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Space Science Institute’s National Center for Interactive Learning (NCIL/SSI), the American Library Association (ALA), Twin Cities PBS (TPT), Institute for Learning Innovation (ILI) and Education Development Center (EDC) welcomed the staff from 12 rural libraries and their community collaborators to the STAR Net STEAM Equity Project.
Our vision is for participating rural communities to:
- Empower tweens and their families around equitable STEAM learning and career paths by leveraging their existing strengths, interests, and diverse cultures.
With the support of the project team, participating public library workers have:
- Collaborated and co-created gender-equitable STEAM exploration pathways with community leaders (especially those serving Latinx populations) and youth.
- Actively encouraged tweens and their families to engage and persist in STEAM explorations in the library and beyond.
- Grown in their ability to work with community collaborators to initiate and sustain STEAM learning opportunities for female and Latinx populations.
Together, participating library partners and project leadership have:
- Learned how library workers can more effectively support tween interest and persistence in STEAM learning in their rural communities.
The STEAM Equity Conference was designed to share what participating libraries are discovering about STEAM learning and community collaboration with library workers, educators, and those in STEAM-related professions.
This conference was presented by:
- Space Science Institute (PI Institution)
- American Library Association (PI Institution)
- Arizona Science Center
- Berryville Public Library
- Blue Island Public Library
- Burley Public Library
- Chicago Public Library
- Education Development Center
- Florence Community Library
- Hondo Public Library
- Institute for Learning Innovation
- Los Lunas Public Library
- Madera County Library
- Montrose Library
- Angel Public Library
- North Central Regional Library
- Palm Springs Public Library
- Purcell Public Library
- Safford City-Graham County Library
- Twin Cities PBS/SciGirls
- West Orange Public Library