Earth Science for a Better World
Librarians, camp programmers, and other out-of-school time facilitators are invited to join STAR_Net and the Lunar and Planetary Institute for two free professional development webinars on the STAR_Net Earth science activities.
Earth Science for a Better World, Part 1
Looking for fun activities related to your local environment? This 30-minute session will model and include discussions of these activities:
- Fastest Dresser (http://clearinghouse.starnetlibraries.org/collections/DiscoverEarth/FastestDresser.pdf)
Race to dress in clothing and gear appropriate for a specific type of weather.
- Nurturing Life (http://clearinghouse.starnetlibraries.org/collections/DiscoverEarth/NurturingLife.pdf)
Explore what living things need to survive and thrive by creating and caring for a garden.
- Recipe for a Region (http://clearinghouse.starnetlibraries.org/collections/DiscoverEarth/RecipeForARegion.pdf)
Discuss how your climate influences the local agriculture, then identify a type of food unique to the region and select (and possibly make) a recipe that features that ingredient.
Earth Science for a Better World, Part 2
This 45-minute session will explore our watery world and changing climate with the following activities. Participants will discuss various options for implementation, and share ideas in how to best conduct these programs.
- Catch the World’s Ocean (http://clearinghouse.starnetlibraries.org/collections/DiscoverEarth/CatchWorldsOceans.pdf)
Toss a soft Earth globe and record how often your thumb is on land or on ocean.
- Ice-Y Experiences (http://clearinghouse.starnetlibraries.org/collections/DiscoverEarth/Ice-yExperiences.pdf)
Play “Ice Bingo” by finding other participants who have had the icy experiences matching those on the game cards.
- Polar Bears Go with the Floes (http://clearinghouse.starnetlibraries.org/index.php?id_product=24&controller=product):
Play a board game in which chance and choice determine the fate of a polar bear on an ice floe.